Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

by - January 07, 2019

Everything, Everything
by Nicola Yoon
Published by: Delacorte Press
September 1st, 2015
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Rating: 2 Stars

     Risk everything... for love.
     What if you couldn’t touch anything in the outside world? Never breathe in the fresh air, feel the sun warm your face... or kiss the boy next door? In Everything, Everything, Maddy is a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world, and Olly is the boy who moves in next door... and becomes the greatest risk she’s ever taken.
     My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.
     But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.
     Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


     I picked this book up for my Romance-opoly challenge because I want to read other genres that I don't generally read and contemporary young adult is not a genre that I would normally pick. I have read young adult books before but they are always fantasy or paranormal. Another reason for my picking this book is that I have heard nothing but really good things about it.

     I have to say that I am really disappointed with this book. It started okay with this girl Madeline being sick and having been kept in her house to keep her safe. I also like the format in which the book was written with like emails and texts and drawings and other things. But then everything started to fall apart for me.

     The book read more like a diary than a story which means that I was not able to connect with Madeline. Also sometimes Madeline sounded more like a twelve-year-old than the 18 year old that she was supposed to be.

     Enter Olly, the neighbor, and everything goes extremely fast with their relationship. I think all those pages that only had like a sentence in them the author should have used that space to expand more into the relationship between all the characters.

     And finally that ending, I understand that she was mad at her mom for what she did but after a couple of months she was still mad. Although she "understood" why her mother did what she did.

     Her behavior was really childish and she came across as petty, immature and selfish. If this is supposed to be a coming-of-age book I'm really sorry about her future because she is going nowhere with that attitude.

You May Also Like

0 comments