Audio Review: Death Overdue by Allison Brook

by - April 28, 2018

Death Overdue
by Allison Brook
Series: The Hunted Library Mysteries (#1)
Published by: Blackstone Audio
October 10th, 2017
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Format: Audiobook
Source: Loan from Library
Rating: 4 Stars

     Carrie Singleton is just about done with Clover Ridge, Connecticut until she's offered a job as the head of programs and events at the spooky local library, complete with its own librarian ghost. Her first major event is a program presented by a retired homicide detective, Al Buckley, who claims he knows who murdered Laura Foster, a much-loved part-time library aide who was bludgeoned to death fifteen years earlier. As he invites members of the audience to share stories about Laura, he suddenly keels over and dies. 
     The medical examiner reveals that poison is what did him in and Carrie feels responsible for having surged forward with the program despite pushback from her director. Driven by guilt, Carrie's determined to discover who murdered the detective, convinced it's the same man who killed Laura all those years ago. Luckily for Carrie, she has a friendly, knowledgeable ghost by her side. But as she questions the shadows surrounding Laura's case, disturbing secrets come to light and with each step Carrie takes, she gets closer to ending up like Al.


     From beginning to end this book was a masterpiece in the mystery of who the killer was and it had me guessing at every turn who it might have been. I really liked Carrie and her aunt and uncle. I really felt the family bond and even when her uncle Bosco might have pulled some strings she was an excellent choice for the library position.

     It was really funny every time Evelyn (if I'm not confusing the ghost name here (which I think I am)) popped in to say hi. I also found myself wanting to know more about Dylan, the gracious landlord. That sure was a very mysterious character.

     I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read more of this genre. This is just the second Cozy Mystery book I've read and I can say that I like it better than the plain ol' mystery books. Plus I really liked the narrator which is good since I have trouble finding narrators I like.

You May Also Like

0 comments